CINEA is the European Executive Agency for Climate, Infrastructure and the Environment (CINEA). CINEA is today a major player in the implementation of the European Green Deal. It is involved in the implementation of several European programs and funds (European Interconnection Facility (EIF), Horizon Europe, Innovation Fund (IF), LIFE, Renewable Energy Financing Facility, Just Transition Facility, Sea, Fisheries and Aquaculture Fund). Among all these programs, CINEA is for example the managing authority of Cluster 5 of Horizon Europe, related to climate, energy and transport. CINEA manages a total of 15 billion euros of funding for this Cluster 5 from 2021 to 2027.
Within all these programs, CINEA is the executive agency supporting the implementation of over 100 research and innovation projects specific to the aviation sector. In total, more than 500 million euros have been invested in aviation since 2015 with the main objectives of:
- Reduce climate impact and greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduce noise pollution from aircraft
- Optimize flight and airport operations
- Develop new fuels and propulsion methods (electric, hydrogen)
It is in this context that CINEA has recently published a brochure presenting the first results of projects funded by Horizon 2020 and related to aviation noise. The projects mentioned in this publication have notably reduced the noise emissions emitted by an aircraft in 2022 by 65% compared to 2000. All the projects mentioned contribute to the efforts to achieve the strategic objectives of the Union.
Erdyn is proud to bring its expertise and experience in managing European research and innovation projects to two projects mentioned in the list of projects in the CINEA brochure: ANIMA and INVENTOR.
- The main objective of the ANIMA project is to alleviate the impact of noise nuisance suffered by communities living near airports. Implemented from 2017 to 2021, it has received nearly 7.5 million euros from the EU. By putting four collaborative tools online, ANIMA provides neighboring communities, authorities and airport professionals with all the tools they need to work locally to reduce the impact of noise pollution, according to the specific environment of each airport. These tools, as well as all of ANIMA’s scientific publications, are available in open access on a platform created for this purpose.
- The INVENTOR project started in 2020 and will end in 2024, with a European contribution of almost 5 million euros. INVENTOR contributes greatly to the understanding of sound generation by an aircraft. Through advanced numerical simulations, INVENTOR determines how noise is created as a function of an aircraft’s external components. Thus, this project designs and optimizes less noise-generating landing gear and wings for business jets and short and medium-haul aircraft.
By supporting the development and implementation of these two projects, Erdyn supports research and innovation in European aviation and contributes to the implementation of the Green Deal.
If you would like more information on Horizon 2020/Europe or to discuss the interest of these funds for your projects, please contact our Europe team.
Pinar Temel / Manager / firstname.lastname@example.org